RECOMMENDATIONS TO NEW OWNERS ON CARE OF A KITTEN 15.12.2018 16:21
1.Before picking up a kitten from the nursery, be sure to purchase:
- bowls for food and water (preferably heavy ceramic);
- toilet (closed type) and shovel;
- toilet filler;
- dry food of the superpremium class (Farmina);
- kogtetochka, complex kogtetochku;
- toys, balls, etc.
- scissors for clipping claws.
2. SAFETY. A kitten is essentially a small child, so the attitude to its safety should be similar.
- hide the wires;
- close windows (balconies / loggias) or protect them with bars or durable nets;
- while walking on the street with a cat, a pet should be in harness;
- be careful with the doors, because cats love to sit right under them. There is a risk of injury of the animal;
- remove chemicals, especially those containing chlorine (such as Domestos);
- remember that some domestic plants (euphorbia, dieffenbachia, oleander, philodendron, geranium, violets, cacti, etc.) are poisonous to animals;
- be cautious with small objects (buttons, pins, etc.): the cat can swallow them;
- remove household waste such as the bones of a fish or bird, after having tied them up in a tight bag or immediately thrown into the garbage disposal.
3. TOILET. Training a pet to use the tray - the most important task of the new owners. A common stereotype is: when a kitten grows up, it will learn to go to the toilet correctly. This is a big mistake! The later you start the learning process, the worse the results will be.
It is recommended to take the kitten from the cat mom to a new home no earlier than 12 weeks. By this time, most kittens in our cattery already know what a tray is and what to do with it. But a change of scenery is stressful for the animal, so show patience and love for a new family member, it will take a few days to explain to him where and how he should go to the toilet.
Here are some tips to help you do this.
- Remember that neither poking a kitten's muzzle in a puddle, nor beating him, if he urinated in a wrong place, will not help to reach a goal! As the result the kitten will remember how painful and unpleasant it was, and will begin to do its business on the sly in a secluded place.
- when you brought the kitten home, immediately put it in the tray. If the kitten does not use it immediately, repeat the procedure every hour. So the baby will quickly remember "their place";
- Be sure to set the kitten in the tray immediately after eating. Gently massage his tummy in the bladder, and wait a long time will not have to;
- if the kitten made a “case” next to the tray, take a wet piece of paper and put everything in the tray, the animal will be guided by smell. Treat Nature’s Miracle or a C9% vinegar solution.
-When the kitten wants to go to the toilet, he starts to fuss and meow. At this point, take it in your hands and move it to the tray. And even if the process has already begun, do not shout and do not frighten the animal. Just transfer it to the tray.
Where to place the tray
In the first few days (or even weeks), limit the space where the kitten can do it's vital affairs. Let your pet have its own separate corner where it has everything: a place to sleep, food and a toilet. Thus, it will be easier for him to adapt in a new place.
The tray is better to choose a closed type with high sides and mesh, so less filler will fall on the floor. In addition, the reticulum does not allow the filler to stick to the paws, which many cats do not like. But at the same time the height of the boards should not prevent the baby from getting into the tray.
Later the tray can be attributed to the bathroom or toilet, the doors of which must be slightly ajar. Otherwise, having seen the doors closed 2 or 3 times, the kitten will consider that everything he has been taught to for a long time was unnecessary, and will start doing his business in the most convenient for him place.
Which filler to choose
It is very important to choose the right stuff for the kitten. For kittens up to 4-5 months it is better to use wood filler. In the case of crushing wood pellets it will not cause kids' injures. Although the kitten should understand that the filler is not a fun, so if your pet starts to nibble or swallow the pieces of filler, gently stop it.
Later you can buy lumpy filler Ever Clean. Cats perceive different fillers differently, so sometimes you have to experiment.
4. POWER. Clean, fresh, filtered water should be always available. We prefer to use heavy ceramic or glass dishes.
We choose super premium dry food Farmina, Royal Canin, as well as natural products that can be given 1-2 times a day, canned meat Animonda, Royal Canin
Meat for a cat is the basis element of the diet. After all, a cat is a predator. Meat should be 75-80% of daily food. We prefer to give cats boiled meat. Otherwise, there is a high risk of becoming infected with parasites. And, even if we feed the cat only with boiled meat, de-worming is necessary 4 times a year. This will protect both the animal and your family!
Meat products include meat and offal itself. Offal for cats - binder, pork and turkey hearts, chicken livers and hearts, necks (without skin!), Stomachs.
Meat should be red and lean. You can give: beef / veal, lean pork, red meat of chickens (thighs, drumsticks), turkey, duck, rabbit meat. Due to the fat content of lamb can only be used as an additive. You can give a little bit of everything daily or alternating by day. Importantly, remember that all products for cats should not contain salt and spices.
Although under natural conditions fish is an unnatural food for cats, some of them are happy to eat it, so you can feed a cat with marine fish several times a week. Boiled fish should be given only boneless.
The diet of cats should also include:
- dairy products: yogurt, kefir, low-fat cottage cheese (4-5%), sour cream, hard cheese;
- vegetables: zucchini, pumpkin, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, sea kale (dried kelp). Vegetables are necessary because improve peristalsis. Vegetables boiled or raw, pounded, everything that cat likes, is given with meat instead of cereal.
- quail raw eggs
- porridge. Any, except Hercules and legume-bean.
Cats are not recommended potatoes because of the high content of starch, as well as cabbage and beans, as they cause gases in the intestines
Contraindicated: hot pepper, onion, garlic, sweets from our table, canned food.
5. SCRATCHING POST. Our kittens are already accustomed to the claw. It is necessary to make it highly stable or to hang on the wall, since, to the point of the claws, the cat must be stretched to its full height. We use Kotograd products.
It is not recommended to perform an operation to remove the nails, because as a result of this procedure, the cat doesn't have a foothold when walking, and this destroys the spine!!!
6. CARE OF CLAWS. It is necessary to cut the claws regularly (at least 1 time in 2 weeks), but only the transparent part. This should be done with a special scissors-claw cutter.
7. BATHING. Often the Devons should not be bathed. The exceptions are those cats, who simply do not like to care for themselves. Comb the hair with a soft brush.
8. HEALTH. The golden rule: use drugs only after consulting a doctor!
Vaccinations. 2 months after birth, we begin to make the kitten vaccinated. Before inoculation for 10-14 days, it is necessary to carry out deworming (the recommended drugs Melbimaks. Strictly observe the dosage according to age). There are a number of vaccines aimed to prevent several diseases at once, among them “Nobivak Triket Trio”: for chlamydia, rhinotracheitis, calcivirosis, panleukopenia, rabies.
Vaccination is done every year and necessarily only the same vaccine.
MANDATORY ANNUAL VACCINATION!
If the cat is sick? Symptoms of the disease:
- the animal refuses to eat;
- lethargy or drowsiness throughout the day;
- the body is limp, if you take the cat in your arms;
- The body is hotter than usual.
To measure the temperature you need a rectal thermometer, on witch you apply oil or baby cream. If the temperature is between 39.5 and above, then the animal is ill.
While the cat has not been examined by a doctor, do not give any medication, only water (you can use a syringe without needles for both adults and children; you hold the cat by the scruff).
9. IF OTHER ANIMALS ARE IN THE HOUSE. The kitten must go through the adaptation process in the new house, it must be accepted not only by people, but also by other animals.
- At first, do not leave the kitten with your other pets alone.
- Arrange common games for animals.
- Use only hygiene products for a kitten and “old-timers” (cloths, brushes, etc.) to mix smells.
10. TRAVEL. What you need to do before the trip.
- Purchase a carrying bag. (It is better to buy it in advance, so that the cat got used to it and, perhaps, even spent a couple of nights).
- To issue a veterinary passport. (Make sure to do it in the state clinic. Remember that at the time of the trip after rabies vaccination it should take at least a month).
- Purchase an animal ticket. (This is necessary for long-distance trains, otherwise you may simply not be allowed into the car).
- You can give the animal an hour-and-a-half drug before a trip (for example, Dramina - - tablets), and also give him sedative drops (we recommend Fitex, Stop-Stress or Bayun Cat).
- Stock up on water and your cat's favourite food.
- Buy a harness or leash.
Curtains and tables for cats are a substitute for natural, natural barriers such as trees. Gently stop their attempts to master your curtains and tables. Remember that you should not beat cats, as this will offend a proud and independent animal. Try to scare them away with water from the sprayer: for many animals, a single acquaintance with a spray bottle is enough to forget the way to the table or the ledges.
And finally! You took a little creature into the house. This is not a good fluffy toy, but a living feline child, requiring a lot of attention, care and love, however, like all kids. He may be sad, lonely, scared the first days at a new place, he will cry, he will not immediately understand where his toilet is, and will look for his mother and siblings. Try to give him more attention in these first, very difficult days for him, do not scold, talk to him more often, caress him. Your kitten usually remembers his name almost immediately, the main thing is to call him all the time one name and at first associate it with feeding, affection and other pleasant moments.
Try not to let the little baby to the kitten, which can cause him inadvertent harm, you should not carry a cat on your hands too much or squeeze it: cats from birth love freedom and independence, never accept the position of a living toy, they can become dangerous, like any predator.
Relations with a cat from the very first days should be built on mutual respect. Remember that these animals greatly value their independence and dignity, are proud, noble, do not tolerate violence, orders and rudeness, appreciate good and respectful attitude to themselves and return your love a hundredfold.
In 1960, in Buckfast (Devonshire, United Kingdom), an unusual cat with wavy hair, accompanied by a stray tortoiseshell cat, was spotted near abandoned tin mines. Where is the cat gone - the story is silent, but Miss Beryl Cox sheltered the cat, and she gave her kittens, one of which was with wavy hair. This kitten Miss Cox called Kirle and left her. Kirley was distinguished by low, unusually large ears, a broad, flat head with prominent cheekbones, surprised eyes, and a small body.